Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness
As nutritious and delicious as oatmeal is, you don’t have to rely on breakfast fare to get your share of oats. This easy recipe combines oats with fiber-filled black beans and antioxidant-rich tomatoes and carrots for a tasty twist on traditional burgers.
Yield: 6 Servings
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5-ounce can tomatoes with zesty mild chilies
1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup cilantro or parsley
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Process first seven ingredients in a food processor until blended.
3. Add to oats and stir.
4. Form into patties, put on a baking sheet, and bake for 8 minutes.
5. Turn oven up and broil about 2 minutes, until tops are nicely browned. (You can also “fry” the burgers in a nonstick pan until both sides are browned, or grill.)
6. Serve on whole-grain burger buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, ketchup, or no-tahini hummus.
Nutritional Information: 180 calories, 2.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 32 g total carbohydrate, 6 g dietary fiber, 4 g sugars, 7 g protein