Grilled Jerk Tofu with Cucumber Salad
Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness
A perfect dish for summertime—no hot oven required! In this plant-based entrée, tofu gets the Jamaican treatment with a spicy marinade, and is then topped with a cool cucumber salad.
Yield: 4 Servings
1 pound firm tofu
1 clove garlic, finely grated
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
2 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons less sodium soy sauce
1 hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
1 mild red chile pepper, such as Fresno, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Slice the tofu into 8 slices. Lay the slices on paper towels, cover with more paper towels, and press to absorb the water.
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, ginger, scallions, allspice, nutmeg, oil, and soy sauce.
- Put the tofu slices into a glass baking dish. Spoon half of the marinade over the tofu and spread to coat (a little goes a long way). Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, chile pepper, and lemon juice and toss well. Set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium. Oil the grill grates. Grill the tofu for 7 to 8 minutes per side, until grill marks form. Use a metal spatula to flip them.
- Add the vinegar to the remaining marinade to make a vinaigrette. Serve the tofu over the cucumber salad and top with the vinaigrette.
Calories: 161, Total Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Protein: 14g, Carbohydrates: 8g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Added sugar: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 159mg.