Adapted from Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton
Enjoy this easy-to-make hummus at your next party or family gathering. Grill or roast the onions for extra flavor to make a tasty dip for cut veggies, whole wheat pita or atop a fresh salad.
Yield: 7 Servings
1 large onion, sliced thickly
¼ teaspoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
½ cup sunflower seeds
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons water
- Coat onion slices lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Spread on grill (or baking sheet if cooking in the oven) and cook 7-10 minutes; flip and cook approximately 5 more minutes until softening and beginning to caramelize.
- Combine chickpeas, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, parsley, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon water in food processor; puree until smooth.
- Add cooked onions and continue to process until smooth.
- Add extra water if necessary to thin.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 190, Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Protein: 7g, Carbohydrates: 17g, Dietary Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 4g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 125mg